Friday, January 9, 2015

Paint...one things that is relatively inexpensive that can change everything.

A portrait Sam painted
If I've learned anything from my artist husband it's all about this thing called saturation. Sam has been working in show biz for the past 20 years, creating sets and props, digitally, for movies, video games and apps. He is also a fine artist. He can paint anything...so when he speaks, I listen.

We are talking about color here...so if it's too saturated that means the color has moved from a natural point to a unnatural state. For example "hot pink" isn't a color you find in nature...or at least not that often and is why it makes you feel a little uneasy when you are in a room painted that color. Sam made us this handy dandy chart. The four colors of green on the left hand side should be used sparingly...maybe paint a small desk or chair this color but not a room. The reason? They are too saturated! In nature we are looking at everything under a light blue/grey/white haze because of the sky....that's why people tend to enjoy less color.

 


 














 It's no secret that I love white. My kitchen is all white, most of my walls are white, etc. so when I told my sister I liked the deep purple room in my mom's house she was surprised. " I didn't think you'd like it since it's so dark."
 It's not that I don't like color, or that I don't like darker shades, I just don't like things that look fake along with most people, they just don't know why they don't like it. Come to find out...the name of the paint is grape, so it's no surprise that the color would resonate with me.

I guess I'm lucky I love white now that we've moved to Ohio I am trying to embrace the natural beauty of the snow and the gleaming white landscape just helps me become one with nature. Ha, ha!! Who am I kidding?? I'm freezing my butt off here...but I have to make the most of it! I can't help singing "California Dreaming" on a day like today but it has warmed up. It's a blistery 12 degrees...up about 18 degrees from yesterday!

So...if you are holed up in the house today...break out the paint!! Oh...I forgot something really important. Buy a good brush!! It is well worth the 15 dollars you will spend and it will take half the time and the results will be so much nicer! 

 I'm going to do a little more writing and give you some super duper tips on how to strip paint from fixtures, door knobs etc. without killing yourself. Believe me I've tried it all and this method is the easiest, cleanest and most effective!! Until then...



No comments:

Post a Comment